Bret Scholl, CPA, CGMA
Bret Scholl has been in the practice of public accounting since 1981, receiving his Certified Public Accounting credential in 1984. In 1985, Bret started his own accounting and business consulting practice which he continues to lead today.
Bret has been in and around the accounting and tax consulting profession since he was a child. Bret's parents owned and operated a successful tax and bookkeeping practice in California's central valley for many years.
Being raised in the central valley provided Bret with first-hand experience of the opportunities and challenges of the agriculture community. Growing up his ag experiences ranged from setting siphon pipe in 100 degree plus heat to driving tractor and helping with farm accounting. These experiences provided Bret with a valuable grounding in agri business from the field to the office. His move to public accounting in the agriculture-rich Salinas Valley in 1981 continued his connection with farming and ranching.
Professional Credentials and Memberships
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) State of California, Certificate 39691E, issued January 27, 1984
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member of the California Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Diplomat of the American Board of Forensic Accounting (DABFA)
- Fellow of the American College of Forensic Examiners International
- Member of the American College of Forensic Examiners International
- Member of the Construction Financial Management Association
- Member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Formerly Licensed Real Estate Sales Person, State of California
- Qualified as expert witness in Superior Court
- Over 750 published columns and articles in the fields of business management, taxation, accounting, finance and computers. Published or interviewed for publication in the following.
- Computers in Accounting (Accounting Technology)
- Gannett Company, Inc. newspapers
- Salinas Californian
- Accounting Today
- Computer Reseller News
- Micro Computer News
- VAR Business
- National speaking engagements on topics of taxation, business valuation, business operations, finance, computers, computer software and related matters.
- Recognized as an expert witness in the valuation of businesses, accounting and tax matters.
- Lecturer for courses on tax shelters for the University of California.
- Director, Accountant Alliances, ACCPAC International, Inc./NYSE:CA
- Experience with accounting matters of federal contracting covered by the U.S. Federal Acquisition Regulations.
- Experience with Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) and Defense Contract Management Agency (DCMA) audits and reviews.
- Experience with OTC Markets Alternative Reporting Standards including drafting of periodic reports and coordination with legal counsel for independent legal counsel opinion.
- Experience evaluating and developing business plans for both internal uses and external capital requests, including coordinating plans and documents with private placement memorandums (PPM).
- Experience establishing systems for quantifiable measurement of sales and marketing investments.
- Experience with fraud investigations including assistance with prosecution, preparation for trial or hearings and asset searches for potential recovery of losses.
- Extensive experience consulting with family-owned businesses with an emphasis on succession planning.
- Service industries
- Software & Internet companies
- Medical & dental practices
- Produce brokers
- Not-for-profit organizations
- Beauty salons
- Consulting firms
- Employee benefit trusts
- Real estate
- Real estate management
- Manufacturing & Retail
- Retail - store front and direct mail
- Job shop manufacturing
- Process manufacturing
- Distribution - domestic and international
- Appliance repair
- Bakeries, retail and commercial
- Produce growers and shippers
- Defense contractors
- Matters concerning Federal Acquisition Regulations
Valuation experience in the following industries:
- Professional practices
- Roofing contractors
- Beauty Salons
- Distribution companies
- Manufacturing companies
- ESOP stock valuations
For a more detailed Curriculum Vitae of Bret Scholl, CPA you may contact Bret at (831) 758-5966, (831) 649-5643 or send Bret an email by clicking here.